Posted on Dec. 14, 2016, 6 a.m. in Functional Foods Diet Nutrition
Aside from their delicious taste, pineapples offer tremendous health benefits.
Pineapple - image from Shutterstock
Pineapple is a delicious fruit that tastes great whether eaten alone, as an ingredient in cool summer desserts, as a juice or is used to flavor baked ham. Not only is pineapple a very versatile food that most people love, but it is also extremely healthy. Some health experts recommend eating at least one cup of pineapple each day, and this is even more true as the effects of aging begin to appear.
1. Magnesium and Vitamin B are two nutrients that gradually decrease over the years, and eating some pineapple daily can help to counteract these deficiencies. Thiamine, potassium, riboflavin and antioxidants help to support heart and brain health are nutrients also found in the fruit.
2. Testosterone is the hormone that is responsible for the development of male characteristics. While both men and women have testosterone, it is much higher in adult males. Sometimes men have testosterone levels that are inadequate, so their libido and strength levels are too low. This deficiency could be improved by adding pineapple to the diet since the nutrients it supplies supports healthy testosterone levels.
3. A full daily dose of Vitamin C that supports a healthy immune system is found in one cup of pineapple. This essential nutrient helps to reduce inflammation and swelling after surgery, and also helps to alleviate pain and swelling caused by injuries. Healthy skin requires the support of antioxidants and Vitamin C to prevent damage from free radicals, and pineapple promotes collagen production to keep the skin plump and flexible.
4. Certain illnesses such as heart disease and cancer become more likely with advancing age, but the antioxidants and health promoting nutrients found in pineapple fight free radicals that are responsible for age related conditions.
5. A digestive system that works properly is essential for optimum health, and the bromelain in pineapple works to break down proteins while the fiber provided helps to cleanse the colon and relieve constipation. Pineapple is the only natural source of bromelain.
6. Few conditions negatively affect a healthy lifestyle more than respiratory problems. The bromelain in pineapple can relieve asthma symptoms and also help to prevent people from developing the condition.
7. High blood pressure is a common ailment that can be hereditary, age-related or caused by obesity. Bromelain is a natural blood thinner that can be used to replace aspirin with a doctor's approval.
8. Pineapple boosts fertility for couples who are planning to have a child. The fruit is high in beta-carotene, Vitamin C, folate, zinc and copper which are all known to increase fertility in both males and females.
9. Pineapple is high in phosphorous, a mineral that is necessary for the growth of healthy bones and teeth. Most people believe that getting enough calcium ensures their bones will be strong and healthy, but the combination of phosphorous and calcium is required for great bone health.
There are few foods that offer so many health benefits while also being very tasty. Anyone who wants to stay healthy well into their senior years should add a cup of pineapple to their daily diet. There are so many ways to enjoy this treat that a daily dose of pineapple never needs to be boring.
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!